Skip to main content

Le weekend

The phone only rings twice before someone answers.

“Lidiko Lodge, can I help you?” answers a heavily Afrikaans-accented lady’s voice.

“Hi, yes,” I say. “I’m phoning from Hlabisa Hospital. I want a bed, a telly, a hot bath and a swimming pool. Do you have those?” She bursts out laughing.

“Yes, yes we do. When do you want to come?”

“Now. 2 nights”

“Now? Yes, we can do that. What’s the name?” I give my details and hang up. It is 3pm on Friday. I am standing in a hectic outpatients department and feel an overwhelming need for restaurants and hot water. The resort town of St Lucia is only 75 minutes drive away and is an ideal bolt hole for Hlabisa doctors. My flat has been without hot water for 3 weeks now – the boiler elements keep burning out due to their unexpected and repeated attempts to heat air each time the water runs out. My reluctance to wash in cold water has lead to me smelling pretty bad.

I jump in the car at 6pm and head out of the hospital nearly hitting a Department of Health 4WD on my way out. “Hey doctor,” says the guard, “you nearly hit him.” I smile ruefully. I am drifting off as I enter stretch of road that runs through the game park and have to employ my patented stay-awake-whilst-driving technique (which involves abrupt tugs on one’s groin hair through one’s pocket). Ten minutes into the park I pass three rhino grazing by the side of the road. Suddenly the patented technique is redundant.

I pass through the now familiar settlements that line the side of the road, then the town of Mtubatuba (one shop sign reads “Tombstone World”) in which hordes of people are pouring out of Spar and into KFC, Wimpy and Nando’s, and finally hit the stretch of forested road that leads to the coast and St Lucia. It is as if I have passed through some improbable “portal” – only 20 minutes from mud huts, African markets and road goats, St Lucia could have dropped out of Florida: the carefully kept lawns, roads and shops; the 4WD vehicles all towing power boats; the streets and restaurants all full of wealthy looking white people. I am embarrassed at how delighted at it all I am.

I spot the lodge and park the car, walking up the steep path through the garden to the porch. I am instantly spotted by the Afrikaans lady I spoke to. “You must be the doctor from Hlabisa. Come let me show you to your room, and then you must come and join us – we are having a braai. We don’t normally do dinner.” The lodge is great – 10 rooms in a square all opening onto the pool. I dump my stuff and head back to the stoep with my book. She calls me over, “Now you have a choice – you can either sit all by yourself over there with your book or you can come join us – this is my husband and this is Rob – he works for the Wetlands park.” Food and beer are gently forced upon me and I join them. They are very interested in what the hospital is like at the moment – they have had several doctors visit from there before. They keep calling me Ned. The moment for correcting has passed. I am too embarrassed to say anything now. They tell me all about their local GP who is an entrepreneur – “He is a one stop shop – you can go fishing with his boat hire company, have dinner in his restaurant, get drunk and beaten up at his bar, and then call him to stitch you up.”

Before bed I have a swim in the pool – it is pitch black above me, Orion and the Southern Cross clearly visible.

In the morning, as I head out, the husband stops me and introduces me to a couple. “This is Ned, he works at Hlabisa Hospital.” They chat cheerfully with me a few moments – South Africans now living in Canada before wishing “Ned” a great day.

I meet with a couple of the other doctors and we go down to the beach with a bottle of wine and some crisps. The sea pounds on the dramatic rock formation around us – there is no one else here save the crabs that scuttle on the rocks and beach just south of where we are sitting. “Another rubbish day in Africa,” sighs Alison as the sun slowly sets behind us.

I get up and walk aimlessly down the beach a little. As I round the headland a new expanse of sand opens up before me. Crawling from the sea onto it are thousands on tiny crabs. The waves sweep them up from time to time, pulling them back to the ocean. A few are beyond the waves and seem to be eyeing me. I walk along the beach. As I approach they change direction, scuttling back into the see one after the other in a Crustaceal-Mexican wave. I stop. Their bulbous stalked eyes examining me as they slowly crawl up the beach again.

The following morning I check out of the lodge ready to head to another stretch of beach with my body board. My hosts shake my hands warmly. “You must come again Ned.” I say that yes of course I will, knowing that of course I will not. I cannot. Not now they firmly and irrevocably think my name is Ned.

Comments

Austin said…
Hey Ned.
Who would have thought that Bill Bryson could squeeze himself into that thin little body of yours? I can definitely hear a little voice screaming 'let me out, I'm a travel writer'...
Lovin' your work. Austin

Popular posts from this blog

Abscess

The phone rings. I am lying on the sofa in the dark squinting at the laptop screen: someone has lent me series 1 of Spooks. I struggle up and bump across the room to the phone. “Hello?” “Moran!?” “Yebo.” “How are you?” “I am fine.” “I am fine too.” And then those four dreaded words. “Please hold for maternity.” The line goes dead for a second and then a midwife comes on the line. “Moran?” “Yes.” “How are you?” “I am fine. “I am fine too. I have a 22 year old primip. She is in labour but I cannot do a PV. She has a Bartholin’s abscess.” I ask a few intelligent questions and then, pausing only check what exactly a Bartholin’s abscess is (an abscess of the Bartholin’s gland apparently) I head for maternity. On arriving I am taken to the woman concerned and, yes, sure enough there is a large abscess in the position that I imagine a Bartholin’s gland might sit if I knew exactly what it was. “I cannot do a PV to check the cervix because it is too painful.” The abscess blocks the way. “Right.

10 years on

The door flies open. Lele peers in. "You must come out here and see. They are doing a play!" I finish up my case file annotation and come to the doorway. The waiting area is in chaos. A gang of school children are manhandling a couple of marimba's to the space in front of the consulting rooms, a team of nurses and counsellors are creating a stage area. Patients look on mutely. Some with interest, others - presumably feeling proportionately less well - without. "What is going on?" I ask. "It is 10 years since the clinic started. 10 years since MSF first started the HIV treatment programme and proved that it could be done in Africa. So the staff are celebrating. They are doing a show or something." The sister in charge of the clinic has moved to the front of the crowd of patients. She calls for silence and then gives a short introduction. Lele translates for me. "She is saying that this is a very important day. 10 years ago people were dying. And 10

Ceza Hospital

I am woken with a jolt. The 4-wheel drive has left the tarmac and we are on dirt road. I look ahead into the hills – the road wends its way high up into the distance. “How far?” I ask Amos, our driver. “About 40km.” I settle back and watch as the settlements become less and less pseudo-bungalows and more and more mud rondavels. The road to Ceza It was about a month ago that our medical manager first mentioned that we had been asked to help out at Ceza Hospital – a remote rural hospital about 2 hours away. Its medical staff (only 8 at the best of times) had been steadily departing and only one remained. He was leaving at the end of May and they were desperate. Desperate enough to accept help from us. As I said – a month ago – but it was only last Thursday that I found myself agreeing to go. Two of the others had been that week. I phoned them to ask what it was like. “There are no words to describe it,” said Nomfundo, “speak to Dr Kekana.” Dr Kekana comes on the line and after humming an