Skip to main content

"Every night I pray..."

As I bump along the dirt track I see two women up ahead, one carrying a child on back wrapped up in a blanket. I pull over and open the door.

“Do you want a lift? Are you going to the clinic?

“Yebo!” they say and they climb into the car.

“Siyabonga dokotela,” says the lady in the front seat. I almost ask how they know, but then what other white person would be driving down this road today?


At the clinic things are a little chaotic. As I walk in a nurse cries, "Excellent! Come!", thrusts a syringe and needle in my hand and pushes me in the direction of a screaming child – he is HIV positive and needs a CD4 count taken. I’m not great at taking blood from kids but with a little probing I get the vein, the screams peak at decibels approaching those of a 747 and it is quickly over. The kid stops his yells and eyes me balefully from over his mother’s arm. The nurse sighs her thanks. “Ach, doctor. It is so busy. We have all the normal patients, and all the HIV patients for their CD4s and viral loads, and all the TB patients.”


The clinic sister insists on working with me rather than sending one of her juniors, “because then I can ask you all the questions I have.” We start work. The first patient is a high blood pressure. “When should I use enalapril?” asks sister. We talk a little about that. The next is a lady who came to the clinic in the night with severe breathlessness. “I though she might have heart failure but her ankles were not swollen. Why is that?” We both huddle over a scrap of paper as I attempt to explain with the aid of a messy diagram.


After an hour she tries to stifle a big yawn. “Oh! I am sorry. I am sooo tired!”

“Why?”

“Well, I am the only senior sister at this clinic, and the only one who can do deliveries. So I work all day. But then if anyone comes in the night who needs a baby or with a difficult problem they call me! So last night I was cooking dinner for my children and then I hear bang, bang, bang, and they are calling ‘Sister! Sister! Where are you? Come and look after us!’ So I stop cooking and have to go and help them. My children have only had bread and jam for 2 nights!”

“And you have to do this every night?”

“Yes. And each night I climb into my bed and pray to my God that this will be the night I sleep. And if I wake and it is morning I say ‘Thank you God for looking after me!’”


“But that is terrible – when do you have days off?”

“I get two nights off a week.”

“And for how long must you do this?”


“Until the other Sister comes from maternity leave.”

“But can’t the hospital find someone else to come and work with you?”


“Ha! They say there is no one – and if I don’t like it I must move to another clinic where you don’t live on the site. But I have been here since it opened. How can I leave? These people know me.”


We see the rest of the patients, and I leave the sister yawning, but smiling. I feel a knot of guilt at my whining over my 1 in 6 weekend calls.


Getting home takes a little longer than expected – slow moving giraffe on the road.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Abscess

The phone rings. I am lying on the sofa in the dark squinting at the laptop screen: someone has lent me series 1 of Spooks. I struggle up and bump across the room to the phone. “Hello?” “Moran!?” “Yebo.” “How are you?” “I am fine.” “I am fine too.” And then those four dreaded words. “Please hold for maternity.” The line goes dead for a second and then a midwife comes on the line. “Moran?” “Yes.” “How are you?” “I am fine. “I am fine too. I have a 22 year old primip. She is in labour but I cannot do a PV. She has a Bartholin’s abscess.” I ask a few intelligent questions and then, pausing only check what exactly a Bartholin’s abscess is (an abscess of the Bartholin’s gland apparently) I head for maternity. On arriving I am taken to the woman concerned and, yes, sure enough there is a large abscess in the position that I imagine a Bartholin’s gland might sit if I knew exactly what it was. “I cannot do a PV to check the cervix because it is too painful.” The abscess blocks the way. “Right.

10 years on

The door flies open. Lele peers in. "You must come out here and see. They are doing a play!" I finish up my case file annotation and come to the doorway. The waiting area is in chaos. A gang of school children are manhandling a couple of marimba's to the space in front of the consulting rooms, a team of nurses and counsellors are creating a stage area. Patients look on mutely. Some with interest, others - presumably feeling proportionately less well - without. "What is going on?" I ask. "It is 10 years since the clinic started. 10 years since MSF first started the HIV treatment programme and proved that it could be done in Africa. So the staff are celebrating. They are doing a show or something." The sister in charge of the clinic has moved to the front of the crowd of patients. She calls for silence and then gives a short introduction. Lele translates for me. "She is saying that this is a very important day. 10 years ago people were dying. And 10

Ceza Hospital

I am woken with a jolt. The 4-wheel drive has left the tarmac and we are on dirt road. I look ahead into the hills – the road wends its way high up into the distance. “How far?” I ask Amos, our driver. “About 40km.” I settle back and watch as the settlements become less and less pseudo-bungalows and more and more mud rondavels. The road to Ceza It was about a month ago that our medical manager first mentioned that we had been asked to help out at Ceza Hospital – a remote rural hospital about 2 hours away. Its medical staff (only 8 at the best of times) had been steadily departing and only one remained. He was leaving at the end of May and they were desperate. Desperate enough to accept help from us. As I said – a month ago – but it was only last Thursday that I found myself agreeing to go. Two of the others had been that week. I phoned them to ask what it was like. “There are no words to describe it,” said Nomfundo, “speak to Dr Kekana.” Dr Kekana comes on the line and after humming an