Skip to main content

The Hlabisa Family

The sun is low in the sky by the time I turn off the highway and join the road to Hlabisa. All around me the hills are basking in rich yellow light, in front of me the road drops in and out of sight as it follows their undulations to the horizon. Along the grass verge people are slowly making their way home, stray dogs bark lethargically at each other and minibus taxis hurtle past me, defying death for at least one more day. It is rather like one might imagine the closing scene of Mr Benn, had it been made in Africa.

It is dark as I pass out of the game park and into Hlabisa itself. A hot wind blows the occasional coke can skittering across the town’s wide, and only, street. There is a curious multi-coloured glow up ahead and as I pass the shops it resolves into a small illuminated sign strung across the road: “Happy Christmas!” And behind it another, “Welcome to Hlabis” – the “a” is broken. I grin – there are also illuminations on the lamp-posts – a multicoloured candle, Father Christmas, and most incongruously – a snowman – in this town that I cannot imagine has ever seen snow.

I turn into the hospital. The hospital has also been infected with festivity: Father Christmas and his Snowmen are strapped to the gate. The guard greets me. “Where you coming from?”

“I have been in England for my sister’s wedding.”

“Ahh! And now you are back.” He takes the obligatory and cursory look into my car boot “Happy Christmas!”

I drive on to the residences. I am an emotional smoothie: the high emotion of a family wedding, the poignancy of Dad’s absence, returning to South Africa for my final two months, the sinking feeling of being on call the weekend before Christmas. All blended together. I heave myself out of the car somewhat reluctantly and drag the suitcase (overladen with Fox’s Biscuits – like the French, South Africa has not discovered the art of biscuit making). There is the murmur of voices from Magnus’s flat. Wednesday is always our “Braai Night”. I had been intending to unpack and sleep but I will just say hello. I slip open the door and stick my head in and am greeted by cries of welcome. A plate of food is thrust into my hand, hugs and kisses are exchanged (with blokes and girls respectively. Obviously), news exchanged.

Bed later. This is my Hlabisa family and it will not last much longer.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey Ed. I don't know how I came accross your blog. but here i am completely taken and even writing back.believe me i've never done anything like this before. now, why am i writing back? Your blog has brought me tears of nostalgia. I live in County Wicklow in Ireland and once lived in Hlabisa hospital when my dad Dr Dennis Madide worked there. I have fond memories of Sister Dittie and her friend as well as sis Alma who coordinated crafts projects in the hospital. my first experience of schooling was in Kwa Malusi Omuhle primary school, where we used stones ans sticks to learn to count under the tree, back in the seventies. In Ireland my six year old daughter uses beads and blocks for the same purpose in a neatly arranged class room, but you know what? they call it the Montessori method over here and i have to pay through the nose in school fees for the 'priviledge'. Little do my daughter's teachers know that 35 years ago a Zulu lady teacher applied the same methods embodied in the Montessori phylosophy, out of her own initiative, and made nobody pay extra for it. Back to business:I have great respect for Western people like you who acknowledge, appreciate and respect our talents, wisdom and achievemements when they come to live and work among us Zulu people in Zululand. Enjoy your last moments in Hlabisa, and when you go to Matubatuba for your shopping, Do cast your eye to the far right , behind the shops in Nkodibe opposite Nkodibe Secondary school; You'll see an abandoned building that used to be my father's surgery. That tiny place took a lot of pressure away from Hlabisa hospital. My father dealt efficiently with minor but persistant issues such as bilharzia;ringworm; scabbies;'guava constipation' and malnutrition etc. Sadly he's four years gone now.Congrats on your sisters' wedding. couldn't view the photos though. pardomn my spelling I'm all too weepy to bother.

Take care and all the best to you in the coming year.

Thabi Madide
Ed Moran said…
Dear Thabi,

It was wonderful to read your note. Thank you for making the effort - it meant a lot to me! When did you leave SA? Do you visit still? Your Dad sounds as if he must have been a remarkable fellow - particularly given the political climate that would have predominated at that time. I would love to hear more reminiscences! Have a wonderful Christmas and New Year.

Ed.
Anonymous said…
Hai..ED,am Nokwe from Hlabisa,studing in Durban University of Technology,Am just happy that u had a wonderfull time in our area with a small town,i love my Hlabisa too,it a very peacefull place and ther is nothing i enjoy then coming back home during the hollidays.
Anonymous said…
Hello Ed

I have been placed at Hlabisa hospital for my community service next year. I am feeling so nervous and have no idea what to expect... especially regarding accommodation etc.. I haven't heard the best feedback about the place from another girl who was meant to go there.. and i am currently trying to be transferred but part of me wants to go try it out... Can you offer me any advice?

my e-mail address is 14682702@sun.ac.za
Regards
Jade

Popular posts from this blog

Abscess

The phone rings. I am lying on the sofa in the dark squinting at the laptop screen: someone has lent me series 1 of Spooks. I struggle up and bump across the room to the phone. “Hello?” “Moran!?” “Yebo.” “How are you?” “I am fine.” “I am fine too.” And then those four dreaded words. “Please hold for maternity.” The line goes dead for a second and then a midwife comes on the line. “Moran?” “Yes.” “How are you?” “I am fine. “I am fine too. I have a 22 year old primip. She is in labour but I cannot do a PV. She has a Bartholin’s abscess.” I ask a few intelligent questions and then, pausing only check what exactly a Bartholin’s abscess is (an abscess of the Bartholin’s gland apparently) I head for maternity. On arriving I am taken to the woman concerned and, yes, sure enough there is a large abscess in the position that I imagine a Bartholin’s gland might sit if I knew exactly what it was. “I cannot do a PV to check the cervix because it is too painful.” The abscess blocks the way. “Right.

10 years on

The door flies open. Lele peers in. "You must come out here and see. They are doing a play!" I finish up my case file annotation and come to the doorway. The waiting area is in chaos. A gang of school children are manhandling a couple of marimba's to the space in front of the consulting rooms, a team of nurses and counsellors are creating a stage area. Patients look on mutely. Some with interest, others - presumably feeling proportionately less well - without. "What is going on?" I ask. "It is 10 years since the clinic started. 10 years since MSF first started the HIV treatment programme and proved that it could be done in Africa. So the staff are celebrating. They are doing a show or something." The sister in charge of the clinic has moved to the front of the crowd of patients. She calls for silence and then gives a short introduction. Lele translates for me. "She is saying that this is a very important day. 10 years ago people were dying. And 10

Ceza Hospital

I am woken with a jolt. The 4-wheel drive has left the tarmac and we are on dirt road. I look ahead into the hills – the road wends its way high up into the distance. “How far?” I ask Amos, our driver. “About 40km.” I settle back and watch as the settlements become less and less pseudo-bungalows and more and more mud rondavels. The road to Ceza It was about a month ago that our medical manager first mentioned that we had been asked to help out at Ceza Hospital – a remote rural hospital about 2 hours away. Its medical staff (only 8 at the best of times) had been steadily departing and only one remained. He was leaving at the end of May and they were desperate. Desperate enough to accept help from us. As I said – a month ago – but it was only last Thursday that I found myself agreeing to go. Two of the others had been that week. I phoned them to ask what it was like. “There are no words to describe it,” said Nomfundo, “speak to Dr Kekana.” Dr Kekana comes on the line and after humming an