Skip to main content

The race

The city is quiet. The sun, just up, bathes the mountain side warm orange. I pull the bike out of the car and pull on my borrowed cycling shoes. A large 4 wheel drive pulls up behind me. The man leaps out and lifts his racing bike off the back. "Good luck," he grunts at me in Afrikaans accented English as he cycles off.

I climb on the bike and wobble precariously down the street as I try to figure out how to lock the cycling shoes into the pedals - and then promptly over balance as I try to work out how to remove them at the traffic lights. "Guess the whole idea of the race is not to stop," I mutter, embarressed.

Wobbling through town I head towards the Civic centre. I join a stream of professional looking cyclists - all in the full kit, with expensive racing bikes. There will be 44000 bikes on the route today - am I the only idiot on a mountain bike?

As I turn the corner the starting area comes into view, the atmosphere electric. The dawn light is grey here, but the buzz of people, the gathering cyclists and the pounding upbeat music quicken my pulse. I find my starting "pen" - along with 2000 others. I fall into conversation with two men waiting with me in the toilet queue.

"So where have you come from?" I ask. They look at me.

"Don't you know us?" says one.

"We're famous," says the other.

"Sorry," I say, a little flustered. "I'm a Brit." They laugh.

"So are we," the South African accent they had previously used has vanished. "We're accountants from Pretoria."


The loudspeaker calls out group to move onto the starting pen. We all cycle on, everyone has fallen silent in anticipation.

"5, 4, 3, 2, 1 - go" shouts the speaker. And we all wobble off.

The route leads out onto the motorway. Everyone is taking it easy at present. There is a low murmur of conversation and gears, and rubber on the road. We pass the University - resplendently neo-classical - and follow the mountain foot south. It is 8am, and people are up and dressed, lining the sides of the road, and hanging over bridges. "Come on!", "You're doing great!". Some people have set up gas braai's and are cooking breakfast for family and friends. We hit the first hill - and the locals have concentrated themselves along it to shout encouragement. I cannot stop myself from grinning, waving and thanking strangers and I drop a gear and pant up the slope.

2 hours later and I am just over a third through. The route winds through the coastal towns and is now hugging the shoreline of the National Park. The sun beats down - down directly overhead. The riders are not talking now - just the whir of gears, the crash of the waves and the the cries of the birds.



Nearly 4 hours in. Over two thirds. I push past the refreshment station - hundreds of cups of coke, and a tent advertising massage. A couple of cyclists have had a puncture - they are pulled off the dirt to the side of the road. Three young children from the Township we have just past have rushed up to help him - one holding the bike, whilst the others look on avidly as the cyclist rapidly changes his inner tube. Up ahead four more young kids are cheering - they are holding out their hands for a "low five" - I reach out and we slap palms.

Four hours, 20 minutes. I have managed Chapmans Peak - the highest point, and the exhilarating run down to the beach resort of Hout Bay, but now I am bored. Every pedal move is an effort. But finally - 4h 50min - it is the end.

I phone a friend and we have beer. But there are certain parts it is definitely not reaching.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Abscess

The phone rings. I am lying on the sofa in the dark squinting at the laptop screen: someone has lent me series 1 of Spooks. I struggle up and bump across the room to the phone. “Hello?” “Moran!?” “Yebo.” “How are you?” “I am fine.” “I am fine too.” And then those four dreaded words. “Please hold for maternity.” The line goes dead for a second and then a midwife comes on the line. “Moran?” “Yes.” “How are you?” “I am fine. “I am fine too. I have a 22 year old primip. She is in labour but I cannot do a PV. She has a Bartholin’s abscess.” I ask a few intelligent questions and then, pausing only check what exactly a Bartholin’s abscess is (an abscess of the Bartholin’s gland apparently) I head for maternity. On arriving I am taken to the woman concerned and, yes, sure enough there is a large abscess in the position that I imagine a Bartholin’s gland might sit if I knew exactly what it was. “I cannot do a PV to check the cervix because it is too painful.” The abscess blocks the way. “Right.

10 years on

The door flies open. Lele peers in. "You must come out here and see. They are doing a play!" I finish up my case file annotation and come to the doorway. The waiting area is in chaos. A gang of school children are manhandling a couple of marimba's to the space in front of the consulting rooms, a team of nurses and counsellors are creating a stage area. Patients look on mutely. Some with interest, others - presumably feeling proportionately less well - without. "What is going on?" I ask. "It is 10 years since the clinic started. 10 years since MSF first started the HIV treatment programme and proved that it could be done in Africa. So the staff are celebrating. They are doing a show or something." The sister in charge of the clinic has moved to the front of the crowd of patients. She calls for silence and then gives a short introduction. Lele translates for me. "She is saying that this is a very important day. 10 years ago people were dying. And 10

Ceza Hospital

I am woken with a jolt. The 4-wheel drive has left the tarmac and we are on dirt road. I look ahead into the hills – the road wends its way high up into the distance. “How far?” I ask Amos, our driver. “About 40km.” I settle back and watch as the settlements become less and less pseudo-bungalows and more and more mud rondavels. The road to Ceza It was about a month ago that our medical manager first mentioned that we had been asked to help out at Ceza Hospital – a remote rural hospital about 2 hours away. Its medical staff (only 8 at the best of times) had been steadily departing and only one remained. He was leaving at the end of May and they were desperate. Desperate enough to accept help from us. As I said – a month ago – but it was only last Thursday that I found myself agreeing to go. Two of the others had been that week. I phoned them to ask what it was like. “There are no words to describe it,” said Nomfundo, “speak to Dr Kekana.” Dr Kekana comes on the line and after humming an