Skip to main content

The primitive trial.

We’ve been planning it for weeks: The iMfolozi Primitive trail; a guided walked through the Game Park, sleeping in the open, cooking over an open fire, taking turns to watch over the camp through the night in case of predators. I was so excited at the prospect I did not think to ask the price. I ask Olstein in the car on the way and nearly run off the road. I had no idea that this level of primitivity came at such a premium.

Setting out

We start rather late and our guides keep up a fierce pace. One of them, Samora, tells us he has 8 bullets – one for each of us if we cause any trouble. We look at him doubtfully. “Just joking,” he says.

“Are you married?” someone asks him.

“Oh no! I am 24 – I do not want to get married. I will get married when I am 30.”

“That’s what I said when I was 24,” I mutter.

The light begins to fail, they call a halt and declare the rock we are standing on by the river side the campsite. “Now, “ says Sinodi, the leader, “you must divide into 2 groups. One to dig for water, the other to collect firewood.”

“Sure,” I say. “We’ll go for water. What shall we put it in?”

“Use the pots.”

“Great – where are the pots?” He looks at me in puzzlement.

“You have them.”

“No. I never saw any pots. Did anyone see any pots?” I ask the others. Most people shake their heads. One person says he thinks he might have seen them in the guide’s truck on the way to the starting point but not since. Everyone checks their bags in the hope that, surreptitiously, a sly cooking pot might have crawled its way into the rucksack. Sadly, lacking (as they do) opposable thumbs, none has.

“So what are we cooking with?” someone wails. We all stare at each other.

It begins to rain. A lot. In fact, one might use the word torrential. We rush to our bags and wrap ground sheets around them in an attempt to keep things dry. Within seconds we are soaked.

An hour later we are sat around a fire trying to warm our soaking bodies and dry our sodden sleeping bags. Dinner is apples. We study the pack of mince that was to be our dinner. “We could heat stones and make burgers,” someone suggests. No one takes him up on it. I remember reading in Prince Caspian (by C.S. Lewis) how when the child heroes were lost in the woods the dwarf “had some quite excellent ideas regarding cooking”. I cannot remember what they were.

We attempt to roast an apple in foil with peanuts and sugar. Tastes OK but there is only enough foil for 2 and we burn our fingers trying to unwrap them and our tongues trying to eat them. Someone produces a metal mug – we fill it with water and in turn everyone gets a hot drink.

We divide up the night watch and one by one people climb into their sleeping bags. Most of us have also been provided with what is essentially a sleeping bag condom – a waterproof tube to pull over the sleeping bag. I climb into mine – pull the condom over it and lie back on the sleeping mat which does little to soften the rock. I try imagine what the stars would look like were they there. Cloud rolls ominously back at me.

The word “interminable” is perhaps best suited to describe the night. The rain comes and goes – sleep frequently interrupted by the “pit… pit… pit.. pit.. pit pit pit pit” of rain showers, each necessitating a tortoise-like complete withdrawal into the condom. At one point the sky clears and the moon comes out – full and bright illuminating the river valley in which we are camped and making everything seem almost worth it. Tom tells me on his watch at that point he saw rhino in the valley and heard the barking of baboons.

When Magnus comes to get me for my watch at 5am I am not sleeping. I boil some water in the now carbonised metal cup and drink tea whilst watching the sky around me turn from black to grey to lighter greyer to a slightly lighter grey than that.

Just as I wonder whether I should wake the others it starts raining again and that does it for me. The guide comes up. He thinks we should head back to base camp to dry out, get the pans and then do our walks from there – we can have a dry night in tents tonight. Everyone agrees and we pack up and head off.


Striking camp

2 hours later we are back at base camp. It is a hive of activity – tables are being set up and cooks are preparing food. The guide looks a little sheepish. He had forgotten, he confesses, that it is the leaving party of the park’s recently retired head.

One of the party looks close to tears. A couple of the others (and me I suspect if there were a mirror) look close to exploding. Three of us head to the park office and couple of kilometres away. I find the trails manager and, drawing on the heritage of my father (a strong proponent of what he called the “creative alternative”) and my silver-spoon English accent explain “how much have enjoyed all our previous KZN Wildlife excursions, so imagine our disappointment when…” She listens carefully and agrees to a transfer to the nearby Cape Vidal resort (log cabin by the Indian Ocean) and a refund of the balance.

As we drive out the rain intensifies – the windscreen wipers are on maximum and I can see only 20 metres ahead. “You know,” says Olstein, “it is a very good thing that Sinodi forgot the pots.”

“Why?” I ask.

“If he hadn’t we would have been in the park – walking and sleeping in this.”

You gotta love those small mercies.

On Cape Vidal beach the following morning after a wonderful dry nights sleep.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I can't believe that you slept through the noises during Casper's shift. Yes, it was the combination of a baboon roaring and a rhino walking up the river bed, but with having seen the fresh lion prints the previous day no-one else could sleep for ages.

Popular posts from this blog

Abscess

The phone rings. I am lying on the sofa in the dark squinting at the laptop screen: someone has lent me series 1 of Spooks. I struggle up and bump across the room to the phone. “Hello?” “Moran!?” “Yebo.” “How are you?” “I am fine.” “I am fine too.” And then those four dreaded words. “Please hold for maternity.” The line goes dead for a second and then a midwife comes on the line. “Moran?” “Yes.” “How are you?” “I am fine. “I am fine too. I have a 22 year old primip. She is in labour but I cannot do a PV. She has a Bartholin’s abscess.” I ask a few intelligent questions and then, pausing only check what exactly a Bartholin’s abscess is (an abscess of the Bartholin’s gland apparently) I head for maternity. On arriving I am taken to the woman concerned and, yes, sure enough there is a large abscess in the position that I imagine a Bartholin’s gland might sit if I knew exactly what it was. “I cannot do a PV to check the cervix because it is too painful.” The abscess blocks the way. “Right.

10 years on

The door flies open. Lele peers in. "You must come out here and see. They are doing a play!" I finish up my case file annotation and come to the doorway. The waiting area is in chaos. A gang of school children are manhandling a couple of marimba's to the space in front of the consulting rooms, a team of nurses and counsellors are creating a stage area. Patients look on mutely. Some with interest, others - presumably feeling proportionately less well - without. "What is going on?" I ask. "It is 10 years since the clinic started. 10 years since MSF first started the HIV treatment programme and proved that it could be done in Africa. So the staff are celebrating. They are doing a show or something." The sister in charge of the clinic has moved to the front of the crowd of patients. She calls for silence and then gives a short introduction. Lele translates for me. "She is saying that this is a very important day. 10 years ago people were dying. And 10

Ceza Hospital

I am woken with a jolt. The 4-wheel drive has left the tarmac and we are on dirt road. I look ahead into the hills – the road wends its way high up into the distance. “How far?” I ask Amos, our driver. “About 40km.” I settle back and watch as the settlements become less and less pseudo-bungalows and more and more mud rondavels. The road to Ceza It was about a month ago that our medical manager first mentioned that we had been asked to help out at Ceza Hospital – a remote rural hospital about 2 hours away. Its medical staff (only 8 at the best of times) had been steadily departing and only one remained. He was leaving at the end of May and they were desperate. Desperate enough to accept help from us. As I said – a month ago – but it was only last Thursday that I found myself agreeing to go. Two of the others had been that week. I phoned them to ask what it was like. “There are no words to describe it,” said Nomfundo, “speak to Dr Kekana.” Dr Kekana comes on the line and after humming an