Skip to main content

Ghost Mountain Inn

It is dusk as we pull in through the gates of the Ghost Mountain Inn in Mkhuze. It nestles at the foot of the Lebombo Hills in KZN and is one of our more luxury getaways – we are using it as a stop over on the way back from the conference. My mind turns to our first visit here a couple of months ago.

We were in the bar in the evening and got chatting to a pleasant Scandinavian couple. He was Swedish, she was Norwegian I think – both incredibly snappy dressers. Since we had a Swede and Norwegian in our gang conversation flowed fast and multi-lingually.

“What are you doing here?” I asked them.

“I am setting up a football academy,” he replied.

“Here?!” Mkhuze is not exactly the centre of the world. It is a small town in the middle of a large rural area with few services and little employment. He was, I imagined, some kind of social-conscience development type, using his football skills as a means of community development and empowerment.

“Yes, but we live in Durban.”.

The girlfriend broke in, “I am house-hunting in Umhlanga.” Umhlanga is one of the most upmarket beach areas in the Durban suburbs. Housing there is not cheap. My vision of a social-conscience development type did not fit well with buying a house on the Umhlanga beach front.

“So where are you living now?”

“Here,” she replied.

“In Mkhuze?”

“No, in the hotel.” I was vaguely aware that some of these European development organisations can have rather excessively generoues expense allowances but there are cheaper ways to live than R540 per night per person.

“Wow! Nice!”

“Well its OK, but of course no hotels will let me have my dog and it is really a problem when you are living in hotels for a while.”

“You got the dog here?”

“No, we brought her from home. She had to spend 6 weeks in quarantine poor thing. It was so expensive but she is out now.”

“So do you have the dog in this hotel?”

She lowered her voice to a whisper. “Yes. But when we check in a have to dress her up as a baby in a blanket and carry her in my arms as if she was a asleep!” She sat back in her chair with a triumphant look on her face. I could feel a slightly hysterical smile creeping irrepressibly over my face and tried to think of something sad.

After a couple more drinks they made their excuses and left. Olstein sat back with a conspiratorial look on his face. “You know who that was don’t you?”

“Who?” I asked.

“Swedish. Into football. Setting up a football academy.”

I struggled and failed to make the connection.

He paused dramatically - I could almost hear the drum roll. “It was..."

"Yes?"

"Sven Goran Erikson’s son!”

“What?! How do you know?!”

“I met one of his work colleagues earlier in the afternoon and he told me.”

“Are they are hear doing social development projects?”

Olstein laughed heartily. “It is not a social project. They are talent spotting and then exporting trained players overseas for loads of money.”

It suddenly all makes a bit more sense.


Then, with the outside company gone we regressed to childhood and spent the remainder of the evening challenging each other to snog the various wooden animal statues that decorate the bar without the foyer guard seeing.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi

I'm a UK doctor.

I've been following your blod with interest over the last few weeks - RHI have put a link to it.

I'm planning on spending 12 months with RHI - most likely in KwaZulu Natal.

I'd be very keen to exchange a couple of emails with you if you're willing.

Ta

Mark

mark_dunham2000@hotmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

Abscess

The phone rings. I am lying on the sofa in the dark squinting at the laptop screen: someone has lent me series 1 of Spooks. I struggle up and bump across the room to the phone. “Hello?” “Moran!?” “Yebo.” “How are you?” “I am fine.” “I am fine too.” And then those four dreaded words. “Please hold for maternity.” The line goes dead for a second and then a midwife comes on the line. “Moran?” “Yes.” “How are you?” “I am fine. “I am fine too. I have a 22 year old primip. She is in labour but I cannot do a PV. She has a Bartholin’s abscess.” I ask a few intelligent questions and then, pausing only check what exactly a Bartholin’s abscess is (an abscess of the Bartholin’s gland apparently) I head for maternity. On arriving I am taken to the woman concerned and, yes, sure enough there is a large abscess in the position that I imagine a Bartholin’s gland might sit if I knew exactly what it was. “I cannot do a PV to check the cervix because it is too painful.” The abscess blocks the way. “Right.

10 years on

The door flies open. Lele peers in. "You must come out here and see. They are doing a play!" I finish up my case file annotation and come to the doorway. The waiting area is in chaos. A gang of school children are manhandling a couple of marimba's to the space in front of the consulting rooms, a team of nurses and counsellors are creating a stage area. Patients look on mutely. Some with interest, others - presumably feeling proportionately less well - without. "What is going on?" I ask. "It is 10 years since the clinic started. 10 years since MSF first started the HIV treatment programme and proved that it could be done in Africa. So the staff are celebrating. They are doing a show or something." The sister in charge of the clinic has moved to the front of the crowd of patients. She calls for silence and then gives a short introduction. Lele translates for me. "She is saying that this is a very important day. 10 years ago people were dying. And 10

Ceza Hospital

I am woken with a jolt. The 4-wheel drive has left the tarmac and we are on dirt road. I look ahead into the hills – the road wends its way high up into the distance. “How far?” I ask Amos, our driver. “About 40km.” I settle back and watch as the settlements become less and less pseudo-bungalows and more and more mud rondavels. The road to Ceza It was about a month ago that our medical manager first mentioned that we had been asked to help out at Ceza Hospital – a remote rural hospital about 2 hours away. Its medical staff (only 8 at the best of times) had been steadily departing and only one remained. He was leaving at the end of May and they were desperate. Desperate enough to accept help from us. As I said – a month ago – but it was only last Thursday that I found myself agreeing to go. Two of the others had been that week. I phoned them to ask what it was like. “There are no words to describe it,” said Nomfundo, “speak to Dr Kekana.” Dr Kekana comes on the line and after humming an