Skip to main content

Shot

As I cut through his skin the young man turns to look at me. He is lying on one of the couches in Resus, panting and groaning in pain, his face obscured from my view by his oxygen mask. He reaches out his hand to touch me and then rests his arm across my shoulders in a clumsy embrace. Just one hour ago he watched as his girlfriend was killed by the same gunman who shot him through the chest.

I work rapidly. The bullet entered just right of his sternum and exited in the right loin – ripping through the lung and liver on its way. From my quick assessment when I was called it is clear his chest cavity is filling with blood impairing both his breathing, and as the heart is compressed by the pressure, his circulation. As I enter the chest cavity there is a gush of blood over my hand. I insert the tube and connect it to the drain bottle. The blood pours out – 200mL, 300, 500. A litre.

“Someone run to the lab and get all the blood they have,” I bark. “Someone else, get some fluid running in that line.” One nurses squeezes a bag of fluid into the line in his arm and I get the biggest IV cannula I can find and stick it into the femoral vein. A nurse stands and squeezes a second bag into that.

The blood arrives – we set up a third line and soon there are three nurses squeezing various fluid. His blood pressure begins to pick up. I check the drain bottle – 1.5L of blood.

I go to the phone and start making the calls to get him transferred to the surgeons. The surgeon accepts him no questions asked. The ambulance service is more problematic – the phones are answered by clerks with no medical knowledge at all. I answer all her routine questions. “So what is the problem doctor?”

“He has been shot in the chest.”

“And when is this transfer for? Tomorrrow?”

“Now! Urgent!”

“Now?”

“Yes! Now now!”

The whole thing takes 30 minutes. I return to the man. “How is he doing?”

“Not so well doctor. The blood pressure is dropping and he is not responsive.”

“Shit.” In my absence he has filled another drain bottle completely – 4 litres of blood. The nurses are squeezing in the 4th unit of our stock. We have only 2 left in the entire hospital. I call one of the other doctors to come help me as I stick in a neck line.

The phone rings as I finish the line and the nurses holds it to my ear as I stitch – it is the helicopter coordinator in Pietermaritzburg. She sounds jarringly cheery. “Hello! How are you?”

“Fine.” I mutter.

“Good. I’m fine too. We were just called about your patient with the gunshot.”

“Just called? But I phoned the emergency service an hour ago!”

“Really? Well they only just called the helicopter service. How is your patient?”

“Not good.”

“Would you still like the helicopter?”

“Yes! As soon as.” She asks a few more questions and assures me it is leaving its base and will be there in 30 minutes.

The man is stirring a little now – his blood pressure is better, but he is increasingly unstable. I call for one of the sisters from high care – she arrives with the anaesthetic drugs. She explains to him what I am about to do. He nods, closes his eyes and I sedate, paralyse, intubate him and stick him on our portable ventilator. I offer silent thanks to ITU Southmead in Bristol where they taught me how to do this stuff. I look up – the resus room has filled with silent nurses in 2 rows watching. Standing at the back are some people who appear to be on a tour of the hospital. One pulls out a camera and takes a photo. I want to shout at them. But don’t.

We have used up all the blood. He is well into draining the 8th litre from his chest and it looks not so much like blood as rose wine – the majority of it being the saline we are pouring in. One of the doctors gets on the phone to an old boss to find out whether we can safely re-infuse what is coming out of his chest: auto-transfusion. But even as she does so the helicopter team arrives.

They take their time transferring him onto their equipment. I am getting agitated: don’t they understand he needs blood and surgery! Sod this! But they methodically continue. As we move him he gives a cough. A great flow of blood erupts from the chest wound – we stick on extra dressing and press hard. His blood pressure is falling and I give him a shot of adrenaline.

At last the helicopter team are satisfied. They wheel him out and load him on, finally leaving 3 hours after my call. As I watch I wonder whether he will even survive the transfer.

I suddenly remember I am supposed to be at a meeting at a nearby research centre – it started 2 hours ago. I phone to apologise. The organiser (a German – not that it is of significance) says I shouldn’t worry. No one else has arrived yet. I burst out laughing. That is so South Africa. “I am glad you find it funny because I do not,” he grumbles.

The rest of the day is a blur. At the end I phone the surgeon who took the man. He went to theatre – they removed the damaged lung and packed the liver. He is on ITU and stable.

I walk home and decide that I will have a (very brief) weep. Of relief.

So I do.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wow...
You are going to be so bored when you come back to England.
John said…
Nice one, Ed.

Popular posts from this blog

Abscess

The phone rings. I am lying on the sofa in the dark squinting at the laptop screen: someone has lent me series 1 of Spooks. I struggle up and bump across the room to the phone. “Hello?” “Moran!?” “Yebo.” “How are you?” “I am fine.” “I am fine too.” And then those four dreaded words. “Please hold for maternity.” The line goes dead for a second and then a midwife comes on the line. “Moran?” “Yes.” “How are you?” “I am fine. “I am fine too. I have a 22 year old primip. She is in labour but I cannot do a PV. She has a Bartholin’s abscess.” I ask a few intelligent questions and then, pausing only check what exactly a Bartholin’s abscess is (an abscess of the Bartholin’s gland apparently) I head for maternity. On arriving I am taken to the woman concerned and, yes, sure enough there is a large abscess in the position that I imagine a Bartholin’s gland might sit if I knew exactly what it was. “I cannot do a PV to check the cervix because it is too painful.” The abscess blocks the way. “Right.

10 years on

The door flies open. Lele peers in. "You must come out here and see. They are doing a play!" I finish up my case file annotation and come to the doorway. The waiting area is in chaos. A gang of school children are manhandling a couple of marimba's to the space in front of the consulting rooms, a team of nurses and counsellors are creating a stage area. Patients look on mutely. Some with interest, others - presumably feeling proportionately less well - without. "What is going on?" I ask. "It is 10 years since the clinic started. 10 years since MSF first started the HIV treatment programme and proved that it could be done in Africa. So the staff are celebrating. They are doing a show or something." The sister in charge of the clinic has moved to the front of the crowd of patients. She calls for silence and then gives a short introduction. Lele translates for me. "She is saying that this is a very important day. 10 years ago people were dying. And 10

Ceza Hospital

I am woken with a jolt. The 4-wheel drive has left the tarmac and we are on dirt road. I look ahead into the hills – the road wends its way high up into the distance. “How far?” I ask Amos, our driver. “About 40km.” I settle back and watch as the settlements become less and less pseudo-bungalows and more and more mud rondavels. The road to Ceza It was about a month ago that our medical manager first mentioned that we had been asked to help out at Ceza Hospital – a remote rural hospital about 2 hours away. Its medical staff (only 8 at the best of times) had been steadily departing and only one remained. He was leaving at the end of May and they were desperate. Desperate enough to accept help from us. As I said – a month ago – but it was only last Thursday that I found myself agreeing to go. Two of the others had been that week. I phoned them to ask what it was like. “There are no words to describe it,” said Nomfundo, “speak to Dr Kekana.” Dr Kekana comes on the line and after humming an