Skip to main content

Outreach

“Why don’t you sit in the cockpit?” asks Dr Dawood. I look at her sharply.

“Can I?”

“Sure. Do you want to?”

“Do I ever!” I respond, sounding ever so slightly like an American teenager.

“Excuse me. Stefan,” she shouts at the pilot, “can he come up front with you?”

Stefan nods his agreement and I clamber over the seats to the co-pilot chair. Stefan is doing his checks, meticulously noting things down in a book as he points at instruments and switches with his pen, his lips moving silently in his pre-flight safety mantra.


I look out at the tarmac of Pietermaritzburg airstrip. The haze and mist that covered us when we arrived early this morning has lifted and it is safe to fly. Our destination is Dundee. That is Dundee, KwaZulu-Natal – a small farming and tourist town. I am joining Dr Dawood, the infectious disease consultant at Grey’s Hospital in Maritzburg for her “outreach visit” – a trip she makes monthly to support and teach at two rural hospitals. I met her at a conference and she agreed to let me come work for her for a couple of weeks.

Stefan fires up the engine of the small 8-seater aircraft. I look back at the main cabin. The seats are removable, allowing the cabin to become a temporary intensive care unit for retrieving crticial patients. Hooks are placed in the ceiling for attaching intravenous giving sets and other patient equipment.

We trundle to the end of the runway and then Stefan racks up the throttle before releasing us down the runway. In what seems an impossibly short distance we are in the air. And I am grinning like an idiot. He circles over the city and then sets the GPS and autopilot for Dundee. Within a few minutes the city has disappeared. I look below through the cloud and haze – we could be anywhere in Africa. A thin silver line marks the passage of a river through rolling wooded hills. The sun is baking – a thermometer confirms what I feel – it is bloody hot in the cabin. Stefan’s lips move as he mutters into his microphone to some air traffic controller – the engine noise drowns out whatever he might be saying.


Just 45 minutes later we start descending. Stefan gestures in front. A small town is materialising in front of us. I can see what must be the hospital and about half a mile from it a strip of tarmac beckons to us. We come lower, lower and with scarcely a bump Stefan touches down. He taxis to the end of the runway, parking next to a hideously deformed light aircraft that is presumably used for crop dusting. There is nothing else around, the airfield is deserted save for the yellow Department of Health vehicle awaiting us.

We are visiting two hospitals today. Dundee itself and that of another small town, Nqutu, in the heart of the Battlefield territory. The driver takes us at break neck speed the 60km to Nqutu first. We jabber all the way. He tells me about Nqutu’s famous Inyanga (traditional healer) – a man who got so wealthy he built himself an airstrip and bought a plane.

“Did you ever visit him?” I ask.

“Yes,” he grins, but does not elaborate.

The hospital at Nqutu has been rebuilt – its beautiful outpatient department has at least twice as many patients as Hlabisa. And half as many doctors. As we wander around it becomes clear that beautiful buildings help but are not everything. And however bad we thought things were Hlabisa they could have been worse – a lot worse.

Next back to Dundee Hospital. Dundee was built as the “white hospital” in the apartheid era and as such has wide corridors, a beautiful outpatients area, a dedicated casualty. All are deserted – Dundee is a small town. One of the doctors tells us it is the easiest job he has ever had. It is now of course multi-racial. The medical manger leads us through the building and out into the open. The main wards are in a separate wing. As we enter it is all very familiar – these wards feel identical to Hlabisa. The manger explains that these were originally built as the “black” wards. Low budget, low aesthetics, and strategically positioned far from the main entrance so no white people would have to see an unnecessary black person. In this post-apartheid era the old “white” wards now house paediatrics and surgery. But, as so often is the case, adult medicine has been pushed to the periphery.

As the round draws to a close we hear the throb of the plane overhead as it returns to collect us. We bid our goodbyes. By the time the transport gets us to the field the pilot has landed and is sitting at the bottom of the aircraft steps waiting.

I clamber into the co-pilot’s chair again.

And once again prepare to grin like an idiot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Abscess

The phone rings. I am lying on the sofa in the dark squinting at the laptop screen: someone has lent me series 1 of Spooks. I struggle up and bump across the room to the phone. “Hello?” “Moran!?” “Yebo.” “How are you?” “I am fine.” “I am fine too.” And then those four dreaded words. “Please hold for maternity.” The line goes dead for a second and then a midwife comes on the line. “Moran?” “Yes.” “How are you?” “I am fine. “I am fine too. I have a 22 year old primip. She is in labour but I cannot do a PV. She has a Bartholin’s abscess.” I ask a few intelligent questions and then, pausing only check what exactly a Bartholin’s abscess is (an abscess of the Bartholin’s gland apparently) I head for maternity. On arriving I am taken to the woman concerned and, yes, sure enough there is a large abscess in the position that I imagine a Bartholin’s gland might sit if I knew exactly what it was. “I cannot do a PV to check the cervix because it is too painful.” The abscess blocks the way. “Right.

10 years on

The door flies open. Lele peers in. "You must come out here and see. They are doing a play!" I finish up my case file annotation and come to the doorway. The waiting area is in chaos. A gang of school children are manhandling a couple of marimba's to the space in front of the consulting rooms, a team of nurses and counsellors are creating a stage area. Patients look on mutely. Some with interest, others - presumably feeling proportionately less well - without. "What is going on?" I ask. "It is 10 years since the clinic started. 10 years since MSF first started the HIV treatment programme and proved that it could be done in Africa. So the staff are celebrating. They are doing a show or something." The sister in charge of the clinic has moved to the front of the crowd of patients. She calls for silence and then gives a short introduction. Lele translates for me. "She is saying that this is a very important day. 10 years ago people were dying. And 10

Ceza Hospital

I am woken with a jolt. The 4-wheel drive has left the tarmac and we are on dirt road. I look ahead into the hills – the road wends its way high up into the distance. “How far?” I ask Amos, our driver. “About 40km.” I settle back and watch as the settlements become less and less pseudo-bungalows and more and more mud rondavels. The road to Ceza It was about a month ago that our medical manager first mentioned that we had been asked to help out at Ceza Hospital – a remote rural hospital about 2 hours away. Its medical staff (only 8 at the best of times) had been steadily departing and only one remained. He was leaving at the end of May and they were desperate. Desperate enough to accept help from us. As I said – a month ago – but it was only last Thursday that I found myself agreeing to go. Two of the others had been that week. I phoned them to ask what it was like. “There are no words to describe it,” said Nomfundo, “speak to Dr Kekana.” Dr Kekana comes on the line and after humming an