Skip to main content

Training on the job

My mobile rings. It is switchboard. “Could you go to theatre doctor urgently!”

Offering quick apologies to the patient I had been repeatedly stabbing with a spinal needle I drop everything and sprint to theatre. Ok – brisk walk. It is hot. We have had a couple of near misses in theatre recently – “urgent” and “theatre” in the same sentence should be taken seriously.

I bang through the door to the male changing room and pull on the green trousers (much too small), top (voluminous, of the order of Queen Victoria’s nightie) and surgical wellies. I barge through into theatre. Sister instantly sends me out to get a cap – always forget that. I am reassured – it cannot be that urgent.

Inside theatre things are calm. A naked pregnant teenager is sitting on the operating table looking tearful. It turns out that she has become a little hysterical and is refusing to let anyone give a spinal anaesthetic. They have tried light sedation but she is determined and flails around enthusiastically at the slightest suggestion of an approaching needle. They obstetric team (i.e. my friend Marieke) wonder if I would like to try.

After another abortive attempt we have a impromptu team chat. The Caesarian has to be done – the baby is showing signs of distress – but the mother will not cooperate. We decide to give her a general anaesthetic. We have a new anaesthetic machine, a new ventilator, and the anaesthetist – me – has an entire weeks training. What more do you need?

I pull up all the drugs, question all the theatre nurses until I find one who once actually helped at a general anaesthetic before, get the equipment set up, check the machine and we are ready to go. There is something of a knot in my belly as I sedate the girl. But the tracheal tube passes easily and we quickly hook her up to the ventilator. Things go swimmingly. I feel, it has to be said, as pleased as punch. I look around to see if anyone noticed how clever I was. No one did.

The obstetric team (i.e. my friend Marieke) crack on with the Caesarian and I settle down to fiddling importantly with buttons and writing down blood pressures. Pity I didn’t bring a crossword.

Then, just as I am turning a dial particularly skilfully, there is an ominous electrical sounding clunk and all the lights go out. The hospital has been experiencing regular power cuts over the last few days. Maintenance says it is Eskom's fault (the delivery company) - they say it is not. It is, thankfully, midday so viewing is not a problem. The ventilator can run itself for an hour and the operation will be over before that – the baby is about to be delivered. The obstetric team looks up.

“There is no suction!” We need suction to clear the baby’s airway on delivery and remove any blood oozing from the uterus. The nurses leap into action and whip out a foot pump powered suction device. They switch the pipes from the electrical to foot powered device and hand it expectantly to me.

It is not, it turns out, a particularly efficient device. I watch as my energetic foot movements drag a few mLs of blood down the tube inch by inch. I double my efforts. The Lord is good – there is minimal bleeding and the baby cries almost immediately. I do not like to entertain the thoughts of what might have happened in a different scenario. The power comes on once again as the obstetric team (i.e. my friend Marieke) is closing up.

I wander back to once again stab innocent sick people in the back. I wonder if there would be a market for a bicycle powered theatre lights system for use in the event of back-up generator failure. If nothing else it might help reduce the impressive BMI of the nursing staff, and the cardiovascular risk factors of the doctors.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Abscess

The phone rings. I am lying on the sofa in the dark squinting at the laptop screen: someone has lent me series 1 of Spooks. I struggle up and bump across the room to the phone. “Hello?” “Moran!?” “Yebo.” “How are you?” “I am fine.” “I am fine too.” And then those four dreaded words. “Please hold for maternity.” The line goes dead for a second and then a midwife comes on the line. “Moran?” “Yes.” “How are you?” “I am fine. “I am fine too. I have a 22 year old primip. She is in labour but I cannot do a PV. She has a Bartholin’s abscess.” I ask a few intelligent questions and then, pausing only check what exactly a Bartholin’s abscess is (an abscess of the Bartholin’s gland apparently) I head for maternity. On arriving I am taken to the woman concerned and, yes, sure enough there is a large abscess in the position that I imagine a Bartholin’s gland might sit if I knew exactly what it was. “I cannot do a PV to check the cervix because it is too painful.” The abscess blocks the way. “Right.

10 years on

The door flies open. Lele peers in. "You must come out here and see. They are doing a play!" I finish up my case file annotation and come to the doorway. The waiting area is in chaos. A gang of school children are manhandling a couple of marimba's to the space in front of the consulting rooms, a team of nurses and counsellors are creating a stage area. Patients look on mutely. Some with interest, others - presumably feeling proportionately less well - without. "What is going on?" I ask. "It is 10 years since the clinic started. 10 years since MSF first started the HIV treatment programme and proved that it could be done in Africa. So the staff are celebrating. They are doing a show or something." The sister in charge of the clinic has moved to the front of the crowd of patients. She calls for silence and then gives a short introduction. Lele translates for me. "She is saying that this is a very important day. 10 years ago people were dying. And 10

Ceza Hospital

I am woken with a jolt. The 4-wheel drive has left the tarmac and we are on dirt road. I look ahead into the hills – the road wends its way high up into the distance. “How far?” I ask Amos, our driver. “About 40km.” I settle back and watch as the settlements become less and less pseudo-bungalows and more and more mud rondavels. The road to Ceza It was about a month ago that our medical manager first mentioned that we had been asked to help out at Ceza Hospital – a remote rural hospital about 2 hours away. Its medical staff (only 8 at the best of times) had been steadily departing and only one remained. He was leaving at the end of May and they were desperate. Desperate enough to accept help from us. As I said – a month ago – but it was only last Thursday that I found myself agreeing to go. Two of the others had been that week. I phoned them to ask what it was like. “There are no words to describe it,” said Nomfundo, “speak to Dr Kekana.” Dr Kekana comes on the line and after humming an