Skip to main content

The long and lonely night...

“See you, Ed. Good luck!” shouts Olsetin as he heads out of OPD. The sinking feeling in my belly drops at little lower. It is Friday. 5pm. Everyone is leaving. Except me.

I am starting my weekend on call. I started work at 7:30 this morning. I will finish at 5pm on Monday. As I look at the receding back of my colleague heading off on a Weekend Of Fun (how I hate them all right now) it seems like an eternity. That I have just finished 7 weeks of my Weekends Of Fun (a considerably longer period than in any UK rota) counts for nothing.

I turn back to the OPD cubicles. Give the colleagues credit. They have worked solidly and there are only 6 or 7 people still to be seen. I get going and see 2 chronic coughs (“query TB”), an elderly gent with arthritis, a young child with a chest infection, and a 2 day old baby whose mother was sent to the hospital by her local clinic because they thought it was “too big” (birth weight 4.3kg). Sure it looks a big baby but it takes some conversing to establish that that was the only reason the clinic sent her up. I feel terrible that the mother has spent half a day taking taxis to get here only to pay her R20 at the hospital reception and be told it was a pointless trip. I pull out my wallet and give her R20 back – less than £1.30 to me but considerably more significant to her.

The curtain of my cubicle twitches. It is the UK medical student, here on elective. “Ahh, Jenny,” I greet her.

“Actually, it’s Rachel,” she replies. I have been referring to her as Jenny to other people for several days but so far had managed to avoid using it to her face. She looks like a Jenny.

Rachel has a child with fever and neck stiffness. Never done a lumbar puncture on a kid before. I assume it is similar to an adult. We get the Mum to hold the child in a curled up shape and the LP goes fine. “Thanks Jenny,” I say.

“Rachel,” she mutters.

Next, a 16 year old stabbed in the back whilst playing football. I cannot hear any air entry on the right side of his chest. I call out the X-ray man and 10 minutes later a chest X-ray confirms the stabbing has deflated one lung slightly. I stick in a chest drain (in essence hacking a hole in his chest for the air to drain out – along with, as it turns out, a fair bit of blood that had leaked into his chest after the stabbing).

Then a flurry of children with diarrhoea, head lacerations, a lady the same age as my Mum who fell out of a tree trying to pick oranges and a drunk paramedic who tries to convince me his ankle is broken and he must have an X-ray (he only turned whilst walking along the street and it is not even tender).

The activity dies down. Rachel looks around. “I think I’m going to go now. Can I come on Sunday to help as well?”

“No problem – you’ve been brilliant. Thanks for helping J.. Rachel.” She rolls her eyes and walks away. I walk out of OPD – the patients I saw earlier are getting ready to sleep over – there is no way they can make the long journeys back home at this time. Mattresses have been laid on every piece of available floor space and people are curling up with blankets. Some nights there may be 20 or 30 people we haven’t had time to see – tonight is good. Everyone has been seen.

20 minutes later I am in my flat. It is midnight. I am about to climb into bed. Sleep seems someway off – it is hard to release the knot of nervous anticipation. I could be called at any moment...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Abscess

The phone rings. I am lying on the sofa in the dark squinting at the laptop screen: someone has lent me series 1 of Spooks. I struggle up and bump across the room to the phone. “Hello?” “Moran!?” “Yebo.” “How are you?” “I am fine.” “I am fine too.” And then those four dreaded words. “Please hold for maternity.” The line goes dead for a second and then a midwife comes on the line. “Moran?” “Yes.” “How are you?” “I am fine. “I am fine too. I have a 22 year old primip. She is in labour but I cannot do a PV. She has a Bartholin’s abscess.” I ask a few intelligent questions and then, pausing only check what exactly a Bartholin’s abscess is (an abscess of the Bartholin’s gland apparently) I head for maternity. On arriving I am taken to the woman concerned and, yes, sure enough there is a large abscess in the position that I imagine a Bartholin’s gland might sit if I knew exactly what it was. “I cannot do a PV to check the cervix because it is too painful.” The abscess blocks the way. “Right.

10 years on

The door flies open. Lele peers in. "You must come out here and see. They are doing a play!" I finish up my case file annotation and come to the doorway. The waiting area is in chaos. A gang of school children are manhandling a couple of marimba's to the space in front of the consulting rooms, a team of nurses and counsellors are creating a stage area. Patients look on mutely. Some with interest, others - presumably feeling proportionately less well - without. "What is going on?" I ask. "It is 10 years since the clinic started. 10 years since MSF first started the HIV treatment programme and proved that it could be done in Africa. So the staff are celebrating. They are doing a show or something." The sister in charge of the clinic has moved to the front of the crowd of patients. She calls for silence and then gives a short introduction. Lele translates for me. "She is saying that this is a very important day. 10 years ago people were dying. And 10

Ceza Hospital

I am woken with a jolt. The 4-wheel drive has left the tarmac and we are on dirt road. I look ahead into the hills – the road wends its way high up into the distance. “How far?” I ask Amos, our driver. “About 40km.” I settle back and watch as the settlements become less and less pseudo-bungalows and more and more mud rondavels. The road to Ceza It was about a month ago that our medical manager first mentioned that we had been asked to help out at Ceza Hospital – a remote rural hospital about 2 hours away. Its medical staff (only 8 at the best of times) had been steadily departing and only one remained. He was leaving at the end of May and they were desperate. Desperate enough to accept help from us. As I said – a month ago – but it was only last Thursday that I found myself agreeing to go. Two of the others had been that week. I phoned them to ask what it was like. “There are no words to describe it,” said Nomfundo, “speak to Dr Kekana.” Dr Kekana comes on the line and after humming an