Skip to main content

Of Warthogs and Wardens

Nicky twitches the curtain of the cubicle in which I am seeing patients. “Ed, can you come and have a quick look at this knee?”

I excuse myself from the patient I am seeing (another “query TB”) and go to Nicky’s cubicle next door. On the couch lies a man, his left leg slightly bent, the other extended. The entire back of his knee has been ripped open. I can see tendons and layers of muscle. When I ask him to move the leg I can see them move over each other.

“He was hunting in the Game Park,” Nicky tells me, “and a warthog attacked him from behind!” I admire how gross it looks but cannot think why Nicky wanted me to look. I am not an orthopaedic surgeon. I ask why. “No reason. Just looks gross,” she smiles.

Later that afternoon I am asked to see a man who has been brought in unconscious. I walk into the cubicle. The stench hits me immediately, almost to the point of making me gag. I don’t do smells.

The man is indeed unconscious and his left arm is swollen and covered in bandages soaked right through with pus. With the nurses assistance I gingerly unwrap the bandages all the while wishing my gloves reached to my armpits. His entire forearm is red and hot. The skin over the back of his hand has disappeared. I can see the tendons and muscle. All down his arm areas of skin have died and pus is pouring out. At his elbow I can see bone poking out through a hole right on the joint.

“How long has he been like this?” I ask. His friend does not know. He last saw him 3 weeks ago when he was fine. The wound is typical of a snake bite. He must have been bitten a couple of weeks ago and did not seek any help then. Chunks of muscle and skin died as a result of the cytotoxic poison and then became infected. He is now septic and shocked. I start fluids and antibiotics and ask our surgeon to come and see him. He will need all the dead tissue removed – probably an amputation this late into the proceedings.

My last patient of the day is wearing the green outfit of the KwaZulu-Natal Wildlife service, the organisation that runs the regions parks. She has sprained her ankle. I look at the X-ray taken earlier. It looks fine. I ask how it happened.

“She was running away from a charging rhino and twisted her ankle on a stone,” the nurse replies. It sounds the coolest reason for spraining an ankle I have ever heard. I ask whether she enjoys her job, naively thinking it must be quite amazing to work in the open with this kind of full-on wildlife. The nurse translates my request and the lady gives a small shriek by way of answer and speaks rapidly in Zulu. A slow grin spread across the nurse’s face. “No doctor. She does not like it. She hates the animals. There are all kinds of dangerous animals. Who would want to work where lions might jump on you at any moment?!”

I suppose if you look at it that way…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Abscess

The phone rings. I am lying on the sofa in the dark squinting at the laptop screen: someone has lent me series 1 of Spooks. I struggle up and bump across the room to the phone. “Hello?” “Moran!?” “Yebo.” “How are you?” “I am fine.” “I am fine too.” And then those four dreaded words. “Please hold for maternity.” The line goes dead for a second and then a midwife comes on the line. “Moran?” “Yes.” “How are you?” “I am fine. “I am fine too. I have a 22 year old primip. She is in labour but I cannot do a PV. She has a Bartholin’s abscess.” I ask a few intelligent questions and then, pausing only check what exactly a Bartholin’s abscess is (an abscess of the Bartholin’s gland apparently) I head for maternity. On arriving I am taken to the woman concerned and, yes, sure enough there is a large abscess in the position that I imagine a Bartholin’s gland might sit if I knew exactly what it was. “I cannot do a PV to check the cervix because it is too painful.” The abscess blocks the way. “Right.

10 years on

The door flies open. Lele peers in. "You must come out here and see. They are doing a play!" I finish up my case file annotation and come to the doorway. The waiting area is in chaos. A gang of school children are manhandling a couple of marimba's to the space in front of the consulting rooms, a team of nurses and counsellors are creating a stage area. Patients look on mutely. Some with interest, others - presumably feeling proportionately less well - without. "What is going on?" I ask. "It is 10 years since the clinic started. 10 years since MSF first started the HIV treatment programme and proved that it could be done in Africa. So the staff are celebrating. They are doing a show or something." The sister in charge of the clinic has moved to the front of the crowd of patients. She calls for silence and then gives a short introduction. Lele translates for me. "She is saying that this is a very important day. 10 years ago people were dying. And 10

Ceza Hospital

I am woken with a jolt. The 4-wheel drive has left the tarmac and we are on dirt road. I look ahead into the hills – the road wends its way high up into the distance. “How far?” I ask Amos, our driver. “About 40km.” I settle back and watch as the settlements become less and less pseudo-bungalows and more and more mud rondavels. The road to Ceza It was about a month ago that our medical manager first mentioned that we had been asked to help out at Ceza Hospital – a remote rural hospital about 2 hours away. Its medical staff (only 8 at the best of times) had been steadily departing and only one remained. He was leaving at the end of May and they were desperate. Desperate enough to accept help from us. As I said – a month ago – but it was only last Thursday that I found myself agreeing to go. Two of the others had been that week. I phoned them to ask what it was like. “There are no words to describe it,” said Nomfundo, “speak to Dr Kekana.” Dr Kekana comes on the line and after humming an