Skip to main content

Saturday

I am dragged from my semi-conscious doze by the characteristic triple ring of my flat telephone. I am not really asleep but neither am I awake. The room is bathed in the dull blue glow of early dawn and the tail end of last night’s gale forces itself through the small window pushing the curtains into an awkward embrace with me as I clamber out of bed. I stagger over to the phone.

“Hello.”

“Hello doctor. How are you?”

“I am fine.”

“I am fine too. Doctor it is H ward. We have a patient who is gasping.” I pause. They might be dead. They might be sick. It is impossible to tell over the phone.

“I am coming.” I hop around the room, pulling off boxers, pulling on socks, pants, trousers and shirts. I walk briskly to the ward. Two nurses are standing over a patient. One commendably bagging and masking and the other doing chest compressions. I look at the notes. A young man with HIV and widespread TB. A quick examination reveals that he is not breathing and has no heart beat.

“We gave adrenaline doctor but it did not help.” I thank the nurse and we decide to stop. I look at the clock. It is 5:30am. 4 hours sleep. Pretty good.

H ward - although not at 5am

I saunter back to outpatients. They have saved me a few overnight: 4 ladies that were in a road accident in Swaziland 3 days ago and wanted to be checked out. One turns out to have a fractured wrist. Nothing was done about it.

Next I go to review a couple of patients the other docs asked to look at before they left on their Weekends of Fun. One is a lady who came in psychotic and confused. She has HIV and is on TB treatment but this is new. She was too agitated to do a lumbar puncture on yesterday. She is a little better today. Yet every time I touch her skin with the needle she squirms this was and that and makes to grab me. I start off patient. Then find I am getting annoyed.

“Tell her I have lots of other people who need my help and let me help them,” I grumble. The nurse looks at me.

“I have told her Doctor,” she says reproachfully. We try again and she twists and tries to hit me. I throw the needle to the floor in exasperation and turn away. The patient grabs my arm and says something. “She says she is sorry doctor and please will you try again.” I instantly feel a complete louse. We try another position and with 3 people holding her we finally get the needle in place and collect the fluid.

“Siyabonga Doctor!” says the lady as I label the tubes.

Next is a patient with TB meningitis who is in an increasing coma – probably as a result of hydrocephalus, a building up of fluid in the brain causing high pressure. They tried to arrange a CT scan for her yesterday but there was no transport available. The local hospital that does our scans does not run a weekend service. She is having seizures more or less continuously and is unrousable. A series of long phone calls later and I have arranged a scan in Durban with the neurosurgeons – if the scan confirms increasing hydrocephalus they will need to operate. I am slightly surprised they agreed to take her. Yet again there is no transport. The Emergency Service offers to send a helicopter but the hospital in Durban refuses – if they decide not to operate on her after the scan the helicopter will not be available to fly her back and she will sit in one of their valuable beds.

I am phoned 4 hours later by an apologetic operator. They will take her first thing tomorrow morning. It is now too late for road transport (she won’t get there until late in the evening now). Her conscious level is deteriorating and I take her to our High Care ward so I can intubate her. Her fitting does not stop despite her cocktail of strong anti-epileptics. I pull out my anaesthetic handbook and almost with the nurse pointing to the right part of the “How to do an emergency ventilation” paralyse and intubate the lady.

Next back to outpatients where the day doctor and I sedate and restrain a 4 year old too hysterical to allow me to suture him last night. He is still pretty hysterical and even after a hefty sedative a couple of us have to hold him so Dr Zulu can suture.

OPD is now pretty civilised – Dr Zulu has it under control. It is 3pm. I slip back to the flat, eat half a bar of Dairy Milk, watch an episode of Friends and lie on the bed. If there are any Caesarians or OPD gets crazy Dr Zulu will call me. This might be the only chance for sleep.

Popular posts from this blog

Abscess

The phone rings. I am lying on the sofa in the dark squinting at the laptop screen: someone has lent me series 1 of Spooks. I struggle up and bump across the room to the phone. “Hello?” “Moran!?” “Yebo.” “How are you?” “I am fine.” “I am fine too.” And then those four dreaded words. “Please hold for maternity.” The line goes dead for a second and then a midwife comes on the line. “Moran?” “Yes.” “How are you?” “I am fine. “I am fine too. I have a 22 year old primip. She is in labour but I cannot do a PV. She has a Bartholin’s abscess.” I ask a few intelligent questions and then, pausing only check what exactly a Bartholin’s abscess is (an abscess of the Bartholin’s gland apparently) I head for maternity. On arriving I am taken to the woman concerned and, yes, sure enough there is a large abscess in the position that I imagine a Bartholin’s gland might sit if I knew exactly what it was. “I cannot do a PV to check the cervix because it is too painful.” The abscess blocks the way. “Right.

10 years on

The door flies open. Lele peers in. "You must come out here and see. They are doing a play!" I finish up my case file annotation and come to the doorway. The waiting area is in chaos. A gang of school children are manhandling a couple of marimba's to the space in front of the consulting rooms, a team of nurses and counsellors are creating a stage area. Patients look on mutely. Some with interest, others - presumably feeling proportionately less well - without. "What is going on?" I ask. "It is 10 years since the clinic started. 10 years since MSF first started the HIV treatment programme and proved that it could be done in Africa. So the staff are celebrating. They are doing a show or something." The sister in charge of the clinic has moved to the front of the crowd of patients. She calls for silence and then gives a short introduction. Lele translates for me. "She is saying that this is a very important day. 10 years ago people were dying. And 10

Ceza Hospital

I am woken with a jolt. The 4-wheel drive has left the tarmac and we are on dirt road. I look ahead into the hills – the road wends its way high up into the distance. “How far?” I ask Amos, our driver. “About 40km.” I settle back and watch as the settlements become less and less pseudo-bungalows and more and more mud rondavels. The road to Ceza It was about a month ago that our medical manager first mentioned that we had been asked to help out at Ceza Hospital – a remote rural hospital about 2 hours away. Its medical staff (only 8 at the best of times) had been steadily departing and only one remained. He was leaving at the end of May and they were desperate. Desperate enough to accept help from us. As I said – a month ago – but it was only last Thursday that I found myself agreeing to go. Two of the others had been that week. I phoned them to ask what it was like. “There are no words to describe it,” said Nomfundo, “speak to Dr Kekana.” Dr Kekana comes on the line and after humming an